Understanding Online Student Responsibilities
Responsibilities of online learners may include:
- Confirm you have the necessary equipment and technical skills for online courses.
- Purchase all required books and software for your course prior to the semester start.
- Login and participate in your course daily.
- Read the course syllabus and other course-related documents to be sure that you are aware of any and all instructor policies.
- Check your college email account. This is the official means of communication for your college.
- Adhere to course schedules and deadlines.
- Use the communication procedures established by your instructor for completing coursework.
- Familiarize yourself with your college’s Student Handbook. Individual programs may also have program-specific handbooks.
- Observe college and/or classroom policies regarding plagiarism when completing coursework.
- Notify your instructor, in advance, if you are unable to complete coursework by the established deadline.
- Understand that every instructor is different. Content delivery may vary from course to course.
- Realize that while your online course(s) is available to you 24/7, your instructor is not.
Additional responsibilities may be outlined by your home college’s Student Handbook or by your instructor in the course syllabus.