Online Success Tips
While distance learning courses have the same content as onsite courses, many students have found that distance delivery mode can be more difficult. The guidelines listed below will help you plan for success in your online course.
- Success in online courses requires you to be knowledgeable about online learning before you get started.
- Online learners need to be self-motivated and self-disciplined. It takes 12-15 hours per week per course for reading and completion of assignments. Committing this block of time towards your distance education course will help you complete it successfully.
- Keep moving ahead in your work by following the syllabus; don’t wait for your instructor to tell you what to do next. Being proactive is the key to your success.
- If you have questions, call or email your instructor right away.
Good Study Habits
- Find an area where you won’t be disturbed during your study time so that you can devote your full attention to your course work.
- Have a regular study schedule to keep on task for your course completion.
- Ask questions when you don’t understand the material.
- Don’t be afraid to do some research on your question. Finding other sources of information assists you in being a life long learner. Libraries and the Internet can be a good source of finding information.
- Students enrolled onsite or in a distance course are expected to use the utmost honesty in completing their assignments.
- Submitting someone else’s work, cheating on an exam, or plagiarizing can result in failure of the course.